Latvia Residence Permit
What is Residence Permit
A residence permit is a document in form similar to national ID card. It gives a foreign citizen the right to stay temporary (a temporary residence permit) or permanent (a permanent residence permit) in the Republic of Latvia or in EU for more than 90 days in a six-month period.
Since the July of 2010 Republic of Latvia has approved changes to the Immigration Law which allows non-EU country residents to receive a temporary residence permit for up to 5 years in exchange for investments in Latvia (with possibility to prolong it or receive citizenship as well).
Statistics from the Migration Board show that non-residents who have asked for residence permits have invested nearly EUR 479 million EUR in Latvia in 2014. Most of the investments (EUR 378 million) were made in the world of real estate. 5,186 residency permits were issued to foreign investors and their family members in 2014.
- The right to obtain the Residence Permit in Latvia also belong to his/her family members, namely: spouse, minor children and persons who are under the care or guardianship of the investors;
- Free movement within all 25 Schengen countries (Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Finland, Germany, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta, Hungary, Estonia and Lithuania) for up to 90 days during every 6 months, i.e. up to 180 days in a year. The same goes for European Union (EU) countries;
- Ease acquisition to the other countries such as the USA and UK;
- Entitled to almost all of the rights normally granted to citizens of Latvia, except the right to vote and to participate in elections and to hold positions in governmental institutions and other state authorities.
- Right to apply for the status of the permanent resident (after 5 years) or to become a citizen of Latvia. Temporary residency permit will be seen as a positive factor in this.
Basis/deadlines for requesting Temporary Residence Permit in Latvia
Temporary residence permit :
Due to the family unification:
Due to a labour agreement:
As an individual merchant registered in the Commercial Register:
As a member of a partnership with rights to represent a partnership, member of the management board or the supervisory board, managing clerk, administrator, liquidator or a person authorised to represent the merchant (a foreign merchant) in the activities related to the branch office:
As a self-employed person:
As a representative of a foreign merchant:
Due to scientific collaboration:
Due to the implementation of an international treaty or a project, where the Republic of Latvia, a government direct administration body or derived public person is a partner:
Due to providing assistance to government or municipal institutions of the Republic of Latvia:
Due to treatment in inpatient medical establishment:
Due to religious activities:
Due to joining a monastery registered in accordance with the procedure prescribed in the regulatory enactments:
Due to studies at an accredited educational establishment:
Due to studies practice, student exchange or traineeship:
Due to dissolution of a marriage and if in the marriage there is a child, who is a citizen of Latvia or a non-citizen of Latvia:
If pre-trial investigation institutions or the court require the foreigner staying in the Republic of Latvia until completion of the investigation of the criminal case or its adjudication at the court:
Due to acquiring citizenship of another state, if the foreigner resides in the Republic of Latvia and has been a citizen of Latvia or a non-citizen of Latvia prior to the acquisition of the citizenship of the other state:
If a secondary education certificate is received in the Republic of Latvia upon completion of a programme of the secondary education in the official language:
If a foreigner was a citizen of the Republic of Latvia on 17 June 1940 or if one of his or her parents is a citizen of the Republic of Latvia:
If a foreigner has been continuously residing in the Republic of Latvia with a temporary residence permit at least for 5 years (this provision does not apply to a foreigner, who has received a temporary residence permit for the period of studies):
If a foreigner has made investment into the share capital of a Latvian company for at least EUR 35,000, as well as has transferred into the state budget at least EUR 40,000per annum in the form of tax deductions:
If a foreigner has invested EUR 150,000 into a company, where more than 50 employees may also be employed and the annual turnover or balance sheet whereof exceeds EUR10 million:
If a foreigner has purchased a real property in Latvia the value whereof is at least EUR 250,000 for the period not exceeding five years;
If a foreigner has made an investment in a credit institution in the form of a subordinated loan (loan, funded loan) for a period of at least 5 years, and provided that the investment may not be reclaimed prior to expiry of the agreement, that the amount of investment is at least EUR 300,000, that the amount of the subordinated loan is included in the calculation of the additional capital of the credit institution:
A foreign citizen, who has received a permit, is entitled to work for any employer;
A spouse is entitled to work for any employer, if a residence permit has been obtained;
Procedure of requesting Temporary Residence Permit in Latvia
Decision - investment in real estate or investment in company.
The following have to be submitted in person to the OCMA on Latvia or Embassy of Latvia in India:
- Landbook registration certificate (if it is investment in real estate) + copy or Company registration sertificate (if it is investment in company) + copy
- Passport + copy;
- Application form;
- Actual photo;
- Marriage certificate, birth certificates of children;
- Document about non-existence of criminal record background issued by government of India;
- Document about availability of funds for necessary subsistence issued by bank;
- Health insurance policy + Medical certificate stating about no tuberculosis in active phase (valid for a period of one year)
- Document proving non-cash settlements within the scope of a transaction;
! A state duty for the review of documents must be paid.
The documents are sent to the OCMA and in 10-30 days decision will be taken and informed about it. Decision on prolongation of the time period for review of the documents or on refusal to issue a temporary residence permit may be adopted.
If the decision is positive and person does not have valid visa,person should go to the embassy to obtain a single-entry visa for entry in Latvia for a period of 15 days in order to process the final stage of the procedure or enter Latvia on the basis of a valid visa.